7. Start the VM and install Ubuntu Linux
- From the VirtualBox manager, select your Ubuntu VPN Server on the left and click “Start”
- Language Selection
- Install updates to installer
- Select Keyboard configuration
- Network connections screen
- If you configured your IP address using DHCP, you should see that IP address shown with “/23” or “/24” shown after it. You can select Done and press <enter>
- If you have not configured your IP address, a different IP address will be shown here. Make note of the DHCPv4 value (10.1.32.20/23) and refer to the Manual IP Configuration section of this guide.
- Configure proxy screen. For most cases, you can leave the Proxy address blank.
- Configure Ubuntu archive mirror screen. For most cases, you can leave the Mirror address value set to its default. Highlight Done and press [enter]
- Guided storage configuration screen. Leave Use an entire disk selected, highlight Done and press [enter].
- Storage configuration screen. Review your selections and highlight Done and press [enter]. A warning to Confirm destructive action will appear. Highlight Continue and press [enter].
- Profile setup screen.
- Your Name field: type your full name
- Your server’s name field: type an abbreviation/username for your business. I am setting up this server for the United Way of Albany County Wyoming, so I chose `uwacwy`.
- Pick a username field: pick a username that you can remember. I chose
bradkovach, but you can pick anything you like.
- Choose a password field: pick a strong password that you can remember.
- Confirm your password field: type your password again
- Highlight Done and press [enter].
- SSH Setup screen.
- Highlight Install OpenSSH Server and press [space] or [enter] to select it.
- For the Import SSH Identity field, leave No.
- Select Done and press [enter]
- Featured Server Snaps screen. Do not select any of the server snaps. Highlight Done and press [enter]
- Installation/Installation complete screen. The server will install security updates during this process. Depending on the speed of your internet connection, this may take a while. These security updates keep your VPN server secure.
- You may see many “Failed unmounting /cdrom” errors. This is okay. Press [enter] to restart the VM.
Next, we will finish installing the VPN service.
NEXT: Install the VPN service